Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
I have taking my vehicle here for about a year and a half. I love this place because I get great, honest, fair service. Mr Tommy( the owner), never tries to over sell me, but always informs me of what is a priority to keep Harriet (my CR-V) running smoothly. Also, Ryan does exceptional work! He takes his time with each vehicle. You can tell he takes pride in what he does. As a bonus, Mr Tommy always has a funny story to share ?
Shiyreka Singleton, 09/11/2021
Excellent service! Always professional. Always timely. Always honest. Always fair. The most reliable mechanics I've ever met!
Nick Dussault, 05/16/2021
I am very pleased with the thoroughness of the service checks and information provided from Barnhill Automotive on things needed to keep my cars in top operating condition! I've had them service all of my Hondas and have recommended friends and family!
Phillip Larkins, 11/26/2020